A Sad Day
We had to put one of our cats, Marcel, to sleep today. He had been suffering from renal failure for the past 2.5 years. We had been able to prolong his life via subcutaneous fluid injections, but the outcome could not be avoided. He reached a critical stage last weekend, and went on a downward spiral from there. By Wednesday evening, he was literally just skin and bones. His kidneys had completely shut down and he was slowly being poisoned to death. We knew it was time to let him go.
I was with him when the veterinarian administered the injection that ended his life. No matter how prepared for his death I thought I would be, it was extremely painful to watch him go. It was like watching a light being dimmed. I will never forget it.
As much as we both miss him, we are comforted by the fact that he lived a wonderful 12 years. And, we know he is in a better place now.