« A Sad Day | Main | Rhapsody »


For the past 4+ months, I've been experiencing the agony of sinusitis. Coupled with my chronic reactive airway disease/asthma, I was pushing the limits of my tolerance for discomfort. Having finally reached the breaking point (and at the persistant urging of my wife), I made an appointment to see an otolaryngologist (aka Ear/Nose/Throat doctor) on July 16. After a brief endoscopic examination of my nasal passages, the doctor ordered a CT scan of my sinuses. To my surprise, the CT scan revealed a severely deviated nasal septum and (less surprisingly) a LOT of swollen membranes. The doctor recommended reconstructive surgery (septoplasty and turbinate reduction) to repair my septum and return my breathing to normal.

Yesterday, I had the surgery. Although it was the first time I had undergone surgery, I wasn't apprehensive at all, astonishingly. I guess I was so ready to have my sinus pressure relieved that it over-rode any possible anxiety. It was also the first time I had been put under general anaesthesia. The anaesthesia was the weirdest part for me — all I remember was a warm feeling traveling up my arm from the IV, followed by the administration of oxygen. Everything went black from there. When I awoke, it was two and a half hours later. Apparently, I had lost quite a bit of blood in post-op, and the nurses were a bit worried when I came to. Fortunately, the only immediate side-effect from the surgery was a bit of nausea (from swallowing blood) and some localized pain in my face. Administration of an anti-emetic took care of the nausea, and a little dose of morphine took care of the pain.

The morphine itself was amazing. I can see how people get hooked on opiates. Not only did the pain go away in a matter of minutes, but I was also in a state of euphoria for the remainder of the day. Today was a different story. I don't feel quite as good, my nasal membranes are swollen shut, and I'm on all sorts of medication for pain, swelling and infection. The good news is, I don't have splints or gauze shoved up my nose (my doctor used a new microsurgical technique which does not require them) and my nose isn't dripping blood like a stuck pig.

Supposedly, it will take up to four weeks for me to realize the results of the surgery. This is a relatively short time to wait, and if my breathing improves markedly, it will be well worth it. There's even the possibility of my asthma going away as a result of the procedure. Time will tell.


Post a comment

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Remember me?